In addition to having full-time staff, the Center for Design and Material Culture also offers student hourly employment, fellowships, and other opportunities to engage with the center. Contact us if you have questions or would like more information.
The CDMC is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Fifth Annual Chipstone-CDMC Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
This summer the Center for Design and Material Culture will offer undergraduate research fellowships in collaboration with the Chipstone Foundation. The fellowships are for students studying in each of the Center’s three pillars: The Study of Textiles, Design Thinking, and Material Culture. Selected students will receive financial support of up to $2,000 to conduct independent research with a UW faculty mentor and must present their work in a CDMC research symposium in August or September. All UW–Madison undergraduate students graduating after May 2024 and who study in one of the CDMC’s three pillars are eligible to apply.
To apply, please submit a document with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline is Sunday, March 17.
- Name, school, major, graduation year (after May 2024)
- Your selected faculty mentor, who may be contacted as a reference
- A brief description (under 400 words) of the proposed research project
- A brief description (under 400 words) of the outcomes or deliverables. What do you hope to accomplish?
- A rough budget and timeline (you may include your time, travel expenses, and research expenses)
Students will be selected based on the following criteria:
- The feasibility of the project
- The project’s connection to CDMC pillars and goals
- The support and recommendation of the faculty mentor
Selected students will commit to regular check-ins with their mentors and CDMC staff. They will present their work at a symposium in August and may be asked to participate in summer workshop events.
Interested students should reach out to CDMC Operations Manager, Laura Sims Peck (email@example.com) with any questions.